Monday, September 19, 2011

Vegan home remedy for cold

With the monsoon almost over, I am yet to get rid of its leftovers…a bad cold with sinusitis attack which has just graduated to a cough...I was seriously wondering how long it would last and sooo missed my non-vegan days when I’d just take a “haldi doodh” (turmeric milk) and it would be gone…so much so that I even contemplated giving in to the temptation of taking it as I argued with myself that it was “for medical purpose only!” But then having made the vegan decision, I steeled myself against the temptation. On the other hand since I’m simply against pill-popping and have heavily relied on good old grandma’s wisdom I’ve missed this particular potion from the time I made the switch…so I now had to find a mid-way or an alternate…so I started experimenting to find an alternate remedy. I obviously decided to veganise the recipe. I tried different variations and have finally found one that actually works. So here I am sharing a recipe of “Vegan haldi doodh.” First to make a paste for the milk and then the procedure to make the concoction using that paste.

To make the paste for the milk:
½ cup almonds, ½ cup cashews, 1 cup water
Dry blend the nuts until powdered. Add the water and blend until thick and creamy. This can be stored in the refrigerator in a covered container.

To make the Vegan haldi doodh: (for 1)
1 cup water, 1 tsp sweetener of your choice (do not use aspartame or any artificial sweetener), ½ tsp turmeric powder, 2 tbsp of the almond cashew paste (recipe above).
Mix all the ingredients and bring to a rolling boil and continue for a minute. Remove, strain and serve hot.
Instructions to administer it:
It is to be taken as hot as one can take. Pack the politeness away for a while as the best way I found of drinking this for the best prognosis is – no jokes…to slurp it…truly the best way to take something really hot without burning the tongue…try it…you’ll be surprised…!! Remember not to take anything for at least an hour afterwards. Give it that much time to work on you. The best time to take it is the last thing before bedtime. It can be taken during the day too, but care must be taken to avoid eating or drinking afterwards. It is advisable to take this for at least 10 days continuously or for as long as you need for the problem to get cured. It can be taken two or three times a day. But at least once is a must. If you are taking once it should be at bedtime. Get well the vegan way…!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment